S5200A Permeability Flex Wall Chamber for water as permeant
Geotest permeability and triaxial cells are identical except for the top. The following features are shared:
- Standard platens are 2.875" diameter to exactly fit specimen extruded from a 3" shelby tube.
- Base and top are machined from high strength aluminum alloy, hardened and impregnated with teflon for maximum corrosion resistance.
- Chamber wall is cast acrylic of sufficient thickness to have a 10:1 safety factor for its rated capacity without need for reinforcing bands which can obstruct view and cause zones of weakness on the chamber.
- Heavy tie rods go through top of cell and screw into base forming a rigid cell frame. Positive sealing is by ‘O’ rings at the top and bottom.
- Chamber easily comes off base upon removal of tie rods due to special built-in spring releases.
- A triaxial cell can easily be converted to a permeability cell by changing the top, an operation that takes only a few seconds. We do not recommend performing permeability studies without making this conversion because latest ASTM and EPA requirements call for direct monitoring of consolidation.
- Flush through cap and pedestal permit easy de-airing by purging the pore water circuit after the sample is installed.
- Lines connecting cap to base are teflon.
- Platens are chemically inert.
- Porous stones are bronze.
- Pedestal is open to the atmosphere to permit easy access to the lower platen for any desired purpose.
- Each of the 5 base connections and 3 valves are labeled.
- All potential air pockets in the pore water circuit have been eliminated by maintaining a uniform and constant cross section from the volume change measuring systems to the specimen under test.
Geotest permeability cells can accommodate permeability specimens up to 4" (100mm) diameter. They can later be converted to triaxial cells in a matter of seconds by using a triaxial top. To conform to new ASTM D5084, a spring loaded pin mounted in the center of the top remains in contact with the specimen as it consolidates permitting direct monitoring. Both cells are offered in an economy version for those not needing the spring loaded pin. See S5200AE and S5200E. An axial strain measuring accessory (S5201) is offered to measure consolidation. S5200A cell is recommended when water is the permeant. Valves and fittings are brass. Porous stones are bronze. S5200 should be used when the permeant is corrosive; valves and fittings coming in contact with permeant are stainless steel as are the porous stones. Each cell includes accessories for testing 2.875" diameter specimens.
||Perm cell for water as permeant|
||Economy Perm cell like S5200A|
||Perm cell for corrosive permeant|
||Perm cell like S5200 but w/o pin|
Shipping Weight: 24 lb (11kg); 2 cu. ft
S5205 12" Permeameter Cell
This flex wall cell was developed to meet a specific need to test geosynthetic clay liner (GCL) materials. It tests specimens 12" diameter and has a lateral pressure capacity of 105 psi. To special order cell can be supplied to test specimens of any desired height. Construction is similar to S5200A. It is supplied complete with 2 porous bronze stones, rubber sealing rings and all other parts described above under S5200A.
A similar shorter version of S5200 has been made and is pictured under the separate listing for S5205. Catalog number for the 4" version is S5200C.
Shipping Weight: 75 lb (34kg); 2 cu. ft.
S5203 6" Permeability Cell
This cell was developed for testing 6" diameter specimens up to 8" high. To special order, cell can be supplied to test specimens of any specified height. Construction is similar to S5040 (for description and illustration, click on related item below), but chamber and tie rods are shorter and triaxial top has been replaced with a permeability top like S5065 (see related item). Accessories for other size specimens are available. Let us know your requirements.
Shipping Weight: 52 lb (24kg); 3 cu. ft.
S5200access Accessory Sets For Permeability Flex Wall Chambers
S5200C Small Permeability Flex Wall Chamber
S5205 12´´ Permeameter Cell
S5040 6´´ Resilient Modulus Cell
S5065 Permeability Top for Triaxial Cell
S5201 Strain Measuring Accessory
S5200 Permeability Flex Wall Chamber for corrosive fluids as permeant